As a result of the commencement of a Phase 2 study of oral ELND005 as an adjunctive maintenance treatment in patients with Bipolar I Disorder to delay the time to occurrence of mood episodes, Elan incurred an in-process R&D charge of $11.0 million during the third quarter of 2012, related to a milestone paid to Transition Therapeutics, Inc upon this event.
Net Interest and Investment Gains and Losses
Net interest expense
For the third quarter of 2012, net interest expense decreased by 48% to $15.0 million, from $28.7 million for the third quarter of 2011. This decrease is primarily due to the retirement of $660.5 million of the Company’s debt during the fourth quarter of 2011.Debt offering and debt redemption On October 1, 2012, Elan completed the offering at par of $600.0 million in aggregate principal amount of 2019 Fixed Rate Notes. These new notes carry a coupon of 6.25% per year, payable semi-annually in arrears beginning April 15, 2013. On September 24, 2012, Elan announced a cash tender offer (the Tender Offer) for the outstanding $624.5 million in aggregate principal amount of 8.75% Senior Notes due 2016 (the 2016 Fixed Rate Notes). The total consideration for the Tender Offer was $1,053.34 per $1,000 principal amount of 2016 Fixed Rate Notes, plus accrued and unpaid interest to the date of payment. An additional consent payment of $40.00 per $1,000 principal amount of 2016 Fixed Rate Notes was paid to holders of the 2016 Fixed Rate Notes who tendered their Notes on or before October 5, 2012 (the early tender date). The Tender Offer expired on October 22, 2012 and holders of $580.8 million in aggregate principal amount of the 2016 Fixed Rate Notes tendered their notes, all of which were tendered on or prior to the early tender date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV