Results in the third quarter of 2011 were impacted by one item:
- Pretax $86 million gain related to cash collected on a previously impaired note receivable related to Equipolymers, a nonconsolidated affiliate. The gain is shown as "Equity in earnings of nonconsolidated affiliates" in the consolidated statements of income and reflected in Performance Plastics.
The following table summarizes the impact of certain items recorded in the nine-month periods ended September 30, 2012 and September 30, 2011:
|Certain Items Impacting Results||Pretax Impact (1)||Net Income (2)||EPS - Diluted (3)|
|Nine Months Ended||Nine Months Ended||Nine Months Ended|
|In millions, except per share amounts (Unaudited)||Sep 30, 2012||Sep 30, 2011||Sep 30, 2012||Sep 30, 2011||Sep 30, 2012||Sep 30, 2011|
|Adjusted to exclude certain items (non-GAAP measures)||$||1,860||$||2,670||$||1.57||$||2.29|
|Acquisition-related integration expenses||—||(31||)||—||(20||)||—||(0.02||)|
|Gain on collection of impaired note receivable||—||86||—||86||—||0.07|
|Loss on early extinguishment of debt||(24||)||(482||)||(15||)||(314||)||(0.01||)||(0.27||)|
|Total certain items||$||(381||)||$||(427||)||$||(302||)||$||(248||)||$||(0.26||)||$||(0.22||)|
|Reported (GAAP amounts)||$||1,558||$||2,422||$||1.31||$||2.07|
(1) Impact on "Income Before Income Taxes."(2) "Net Income Available for The Dow Chemical Company Common Stockholders."(3) "Earnings per common share - diluted."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV