As of September 30, 2012, the Company’s portfolio consisted of 152 properties, comprised primarily of Class A office space, one hotel, three residential properties and three retail properties, aggregating approximately 43.4 million square feet, including eight properties under construction totaling 2.7 million square feet. In addition, the Company has structured parking for vehicles containing approximately 15.2 million square feet. The overall percentage of leased space for the 141 properties in service (excluding the two in-service residential properties and the hotel) as of September 30, 2012 was 91.6%.
Significant events during the third quarter included:
- On July 25, 2012, a joint venture in which the Company has a 50% interest partially placed in-service Annapolis Junction Building Six, a Class A office property with approximately 120,000 net rentable square feet located in Annapolis, Maryland. The property is currently 49% leased.
- On August 24, 2012, the Company’s Operating Partnership used available cash to redeem the remaining $225.0 million in aggregate principal amount of its 6.25% senior notes due 2013. The redemption price was determined in accordance with the applicable indenture and totaled approximately $231.6 million. The redemption price included approximately $1.5 million of accrued and unpaid interest to, but not including, the redemption date. Excluding such accrued and unpaid interest, the redemption price was approximately 102.25% of the principal amount being redeemed. The Company recognized a loss on early extinguishment of debt totaling approximately $5.2 million, which amount included the payment of the redemption premium totaling approximately $5.1 million.
- On August 29, 2012, the Company acquired the development project located at 680 Folsom Street and 50 Hawthorne Street in San Francisco, California. When completed, the project will comprise approximately 522,000 net rentable square feet of Class A office and retail space. The project is approximately 85% pre-leased. The estimated project cost upon completion is approximately $340 million with initial occupancy expected in the first quarter of 2014. As part of the transaction, the Company also acquired the corner site of 690 Folsom Street, which is an adjacent parcel with a vacant 22,000 square foot, two-story structure that may be redeveloped in the future. The consideration paid by the Company to the seller consisted of approximately $62.2 million in cash and the issuance of 1,588,100 Series Four Preferred Units of limited partnership interest in the Company’s Operating Partnership (the “Series Four Preferred Units”). The Series Four Preferred Units are not convertible into or exchangeable for any common equity of the Operating Partnership or the Company, have a per unit liquidation preference of $50.00 and are entitled to receive quarterly distributions of $0.25 per unit (or an annual rate of 2.0%). On August 31, 2012, a holder redeemed 366,573 Series Four Preferred Units for cash totaling approximately $18.3 million. In connection with the acquisition, the Company also assumed a $170.0 million construction loan commitment, although no amount is currently outstanding.
- On September 4, 2012, the Company used available cash to repay the mortgage loan collateralized by its Sumner Square property located in Washington, DC totaling approximately $23.2 million. The mortgage financing bore interest at a fixed rate of 7.35% per annum and was scheduled to mature on September 1, 2013. The Company recognized a loss on early extinguishment of debt totaling approximately $0.3 million, which amount included a prepayment penalty totaling approximately $0.2 million.
- On September 27, 2012, the Company’s Value-Added Fund completed the sale of its 300 Billerica Road property located in Chelmsford, Massachusetts for approximately $12.2 million, including the assumption by the buyer of $7.5 million of mortgage indebtedness. 300 Billerica Road is an approximately 111,000 net rentable square foot office building. Net cash proceeds totaled approximately $4.3 million, of which the Company’s share was approximately $2.8 million, after the payment of transaction costs. The Company’s share of the net proceeds included approximately $2.4 million resulting from the Value-Added Fund’s repayment of a loan from the Company’s Operating Partnership. The Value-Added Fund recognized a gain on sale of real estate totaling approximately $1.0 million, of which the Company’s share was approximately $0.2 million and is included within income from unconsolidated joint ventures in the Company’s consolidated statements of operations.
Transactions completed subsequent to September 30, 2012:
- On October 1, 2012, a joint venture in which the Company has a 30% interest partially placed in-service 500 North Capitol Street, NW, a Class A office redevelopment project with approximately 232,000 net rentable square feet located in Washington, DC. The property is currently 82% leased.
- On October 4, 2012, the Company completed the formation of a joint venture which owns and operates Fountain Square located in Reston, Virginia, adjacent to the Company’s other Reston properties. Fountain Square is an office and retail complex aggregating approximately 764,000 net rentable square feet (approximately 811,000 net rentable square feet, as re-measured), comprised of approximately 522,000 net rentable square feet of Class A office space and approximately 242,000 net rentable square feet of retail space. The joint venture partner contributed the property valued at approximately $385.0 million and related mortgage indebtedness totaling approximately $211.3 million for a 50% interest in the joint venture. The Company contributed cash totaling approximately $87.0 million for its 50% interest, which cash was distributed to the joint venture partner. The Company is consolidating this joint venture. The mortgage loan bears interest at a fixed rate of 5.71% per annum and matures on October 11, 2016. Pursuant to the joint venture agreement (i) the Company has rights to acquire the partner’s 50% interest and (ii) the partner has the right to cause the Company to acquire the partner’s interest on January 4, 2016, in each case at a fixed price totaling approximately $102.0 million in cash. The fixed price option rights expire on January 31, 2016.
- On October 19, 2012, the Company formed a joint venture with an affiliate of Hines to pursue the acquisition of land in San Francisco, California which could support a 61-story, 1.4 million square foot office tower known as Transbay Tower. The purchase price is approximately $190 million, and the acquisition is expected to close in the first quarter of 2013. The Company has a 50% interest in the joint venture.
EPS and FFO per Share Guidance:The Company’s guidance for the fourth quarter 2012 and full year 2013 for EPS (diluted) and FFO per share (diluted) is set forth and reconciled below. Except as described below, the estimates reflect management’s view of current and future market conditions, including assumptions with respect to rental rates, occupancy levels and the earnings impact of the events referenced in this release and otherwise referenced during the conference call referred to below. In addition, the estimates for the full year 2013 when compared to the full year 2012 include, among other things, (1) the impact of the acquisition of 100 Federal Street in Boston, Massachusetts and the Company’s acquisition of a 50% interest in the joint venture that owns Fountain Square in Reston, Virginia, which are expected to increase FFO by an aggregate of $0.11 per share, (2) the placing in-service of four projects currently under development, which are expected to increase FFO by an aggregate of $0.05 per share and (3) improvement in the Company’s same property performance of 1.5% to 2.5% generating $0.10 to $0.16 per share of incremental FFO. In addition, the Company expects interest expense to be lower by $0.06 to $0.12 per share due to lower average debt costs and increased capitalized interest on the Company’s development projects. These items are offset by lower termination income and the impact of lower occupancy in the Company’s New York City joint venture properties of ($0.12) to ($0.18) per share. The estimates do not include possible future gains or losses or the impact on operating results from other possible future property acquisitions or dispositions, other possible capital markets activity or possible future impairment charges. EPS estimates may be subject to fluctuations as a result of several factors, including changes in the recognition of depreciation and amortization expense and any gains or losses associated with disposition activity. The Company is not able to assess at this time the potential impact of these factors on projected EPS. By definition, FFO does not include real estate-related depreciation and amortization, impairment losses or gains or losses associated with disposition activities. There can be no assurance that the Company’s actual results will not differ materially from the estimates set forth below.
|Fourth Quarter 2012||Full Year 2013|
|Projected EPS (diluted)||$||0.42||-||$||0.44||$||1.75||-||$||1.90|
|Projected Company Share of Real EstateDepreciation and Amortization||0.80||-||0.80||3.25||-||3.25|
|Projected Company Share of Gains onSales of Real Estate||0.00||-||0.00||0.00||-||0.00|
|Projected FFO per Share (diluted)||$||1.22||-||$||1.24||$||5.00||-||$||5.15|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV