Janska's Erickson Breaks Mold for Older Entrepreneurs
How were you able to bridge the gap between your ideas and building a successful retail business?
Erickson: One of the things we were very fortunate about is people started showing up around us that knew the business. I wasn't embarrassed to ask questions, because I knew I didn't really know about it, and it seemed like we were creating something outside the box.
For example, by using Polartec fleece -- something that's normally used for outerwear and sportswear -- we were using a fabric that had fantastic properties. When you put it into a garment that's more stylish than just a zipper jacket, people loved the garment. And we were also able to come across people who had designed in fleece in the general fashion world who loved our universal design concept and stepped right into helping us create more along those lines.
What about the business side of things? You and your husband had little retail experience.Erickson: When we started the small business, we took courses that are offered in any community. My husband took them with me and we did it together. We were researching a lot,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV