Hatteras Financial Corp. (NYSE: HTS) (“Hatteras” or the “Company”) today announced financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2012.
Third Quarter 2012 Highlights
- Generated net income of $0.83 per weighted average share
- Declared an $0.80 per share dividend
- Quarter end book value of $29.60 per share, up 7.8% from June 30, 2012
- Earned a net return on average equity of 11.64%
- Realized average net interest spread of 1.22%
- Weighted average constant prepayment rate of 20.5
- Annualized total expense ratio of 0.84% of average shareholders’ equity
- Issued $278.3 million of preferred stock at an annual rate of 7.625%
Third Quarter 2012 Results
During the quarter ended September 30, 2012, the Company earned net income of $82.0 million, or $0.83 per diluted common share, compared to net income of $89.1 million, or $0.91 per diluted common share, during the quarter ended June 30, 2012. Net interest income for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 was $79.6 million, compared to $83.0 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 reflecting the continued compression of net interest margin. The Company’s average earning assets increased to $24.4 billion for the third quarter of 2012 from $21.1 billion in the second quarter of 2012 as the Company deployed the proceeds from its $278.3 million preferred stock offering completed in the third quarter of 2012. The Company’s net interest margin decreased to 1.22% for the third quarter of 2012 from 1.49% in the second quarter of 2012 as a result of compression in portfolio yield. The Company’s cost of funds (including hedges) was 0.94%, unchanged from the second quarter of 2012. The Company’s average repurchase agreement (repo) rate for the third quarter of 2012 was 0.41%, up from 0.36% in the second quarter of 2012. The weighted average interest rate on interest rate swaps declined from 1.54% in the second quarter of 2012 to 1.48% in the third quarter as maturing swaps were generally replaced with new lower-cost swap positions. Operating expenses were relatively flat with prior quarter at $6.0 million for the third quarter of 2012 versus $6.1 million for the second quarter of 2012. Total annualized expenses were 0.84% of average shareholders’ equity for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, slightly below the previous quarter at 0.88%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV