MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 23, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. (Nasdaq:BWLD), announced today financial results for the third quarter ended September 23, 2012. Highlights for the third quarter versus the same period a year ago were:
- Total revenue increased 24.8% to $246.9 million
- Company-owned restaurant sales grew 26.2% to $228.4 million
- Same-store sales increased 6.2% at company-owned restaurants and 5.8% at franchised restaurants
- Net earnings decreased 5.0% to $10.7 million from $11.3 million, and earnings per diluted share decreased 6.6% to $0.57 from $0.61
Sally Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "We're pleased with our strong top-line growth of nearly 25% in the third quarter. We focused on operational excellence at the restaurant level and our teams delivered strong same-store sales. In addition, we leveraged on labor, operating, and occupancy expenses. High cost of sales and incremental preopening expenses moderated our bottom-line expansion, producing earnings per diluted share of $0.57 compared to $0.61 in 2011."
Total revenue increased 24.8% to $246.9 million in the third quarter compared to $197.8 million in the third quarter of 2011. Company-owned restaurant sales for the quarter increased 26.2% over the same period in 2011, to $228.4 million, driven by a company-owned same-store sales increase of 6.2% and 55 additional company-owned restaurants at the end of third quarter 2012 relative to the same period in 2011. Franchise royalties and fees increased 10.2% to $18.4 million for the quarter versus $16.7 million in the third quarter of 2011. This increase is attributed to a franchise same-store sales increase of 5.8% and 13 additional franchised restaurants at the end of the period versus a year ago.Average weekly sales for company-owned restaurants were $52,561 for the third quarter of 2012 compared to $49,461 for the same quarter last year, a 6.3% increase. Franchised restaurants averaged $55,608 for the period versus $51,350 in the third quarter a year ago, an 8.3% increase.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts