FOCUS12 – McAfee today announced a new McAfee Security Management solution that helps close a key gap in enterprise security by offering intelligent, automated real-time asset monitoring: the underlying architecture for continuous monitoring. McAfee Vulnerability Manager now includes McAfee Asset Manager to automatically discover and inspect assets as they connect to the network. This tight integration provides asset discovery and connectivity information to help eliminate vulnerability management gaps and identify policy violations to improve overall security posture.
Enterprise IT faces a daunting challenge: industry experts predict that by 2020 there will be 50 billion devices connected to the internet 1 and IT will have to detect and assess these devices as they connect to corporate networks. Protecting enterprises and information means IT will need to have real-time visibility and knowledge of these connected devices. This is a major problem in today’s networks: IT is often unaware of new potentially unsecured or compromised systems on the network. The gap between connection and awareness is a gap exploited by attackers and places compliance initiatives at risk.
“You can’t protect and secure what you can’t see. McAfee is taking a significant step and fulfilling the promise of enterprise security intelligence by providing deep asset visibility with context and putting in place a fundamental layer in achieving continuous monitoring,” said Ken Levine, senior vice president and general manager, Management Systems at McAfee. “With this offering, McAfee strengthens its vulnerability and asset management solutions to detect gaps in security from mobile devices to data centers.”
McAfee Vulnerability Manager with McAfee Asset ManagerThe McAfee Asset Manager component of McAfee Vulnerability Manager performs asset discovery that is automated, intelligent and connectivity aware. By providing real-time awareness of newly connected devices, McAfee Asset Manager helps organizations strengthen their security by alerting McAfee Vulnerability Manager to execute targeted vulnerability scans as soon as new or unknown devices connect to the network, including mobile phones, tablets, virtual machines, and travelling laptops. This automated asset discovery capability provides security teams with the ability to detect unprotected systems, plus gain connectivity context for security monitoring and detect policy violations in real-time. In addition, asset manager’s combination of passive and active discovery enables real-time detection and asset inventory for full situational awareness of all assets. McAfee Asset Manager also passes asset information directly to McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator software to allow IT to bring unmanaged systems under security management. Key Features:
- Automated collection and deep inspection of asset information with McAfee Asset Manager
- Real-time discovery of ALL devices attaching to the network, including smartphones, tablets, servers, laptops, desktops, virtual machines, other networked devices, and all networking equipment
- Enables always up-to-date vulnerability assessment status
- Intelligent combination of passive and active discovery
- Low impact, high definition discovery provides a richer understanding of networked assets than possible with either method alone
- Stronger security monitoring through greater asset context
- McAfee Enterprise Security Manager gathers McAfee Vulnerability Manager data, including information provided by McAfee Asset Manager to provide asset connectivity, configuration and control context into the security monitoring process
- McAfee Asset Manager provides topology view of network and discovered assets
- McAfee Asset Manager provides full software and hardware inventory of discovered assets