As for Wednesday's scheduled news, AT&T Corp. (T) is slated to report its third-quarter results before the opening bell and the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters is for earnings of 60 cents a share in the September-ended period on revenue of $31.58 billion.
Shares of the communications giant are up more than 15% so far in 2012, despite earnings and revenue remaining relatively flat throughout the year. The company enjoyed a record sales day in the wake of the release of the iPhone 5 in mid-September, and the stock hit a 52-week high of $38.58 shortly after on Sept. 21. The trend in margins, however, has become a concern for the big wireless providers, so investors will be anxious for color on how AT&T fared ahead of the iPhone's arrival as well as what its expectations are for the remainder of the year.
The sell side is pretty down on AT&T ahead of the release with 26 of the 39 analysts covering the stock at either hold (24) or underperform (2). The 12-month median price target sits at $36.75.
Deutsche Bank, which has a hold rating and $34 price target on the stock, is in line with the consensus profit view."We are focused on 4 issues: (1) visibility on 4Q wireless margins based on expected smartphone sales (est 17.1M YTD vs. '12 guidance of 25M); (2) T's outlook for ARPU growth based on shared data plan adoption; (3) visibility on wireline enterprise revenue growth; and (4) uses of cash in coming quarters, including spectrum purchases, buybacks and capex," the firm said in its preview of the results on Tuesday. "We believe T's 5% dividend yield provides downside support, but we maintain Hold as we see limited upside potential to EPS estimates or P/E near term." Check out TheStreet's quote page for AT&T for year-to-date share performance, analyst ratings, earnings estimates and much more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV