Today Mattel announced the launch of its fourth Global Citizenship Report, We Believe Play Matters, which highlights Mattel’s commitment to operating as a responsible member of the global business community. To meet this commitment, the company focuses on ensuring the quality and safety of Mattel products, reducing the overall impact of its products and operations on the environment and investing in strategic philanthropic partnerships to make a positive impact on the global communities it touches. Mattel employees around the world contribute daily to these efforts, embodying the company values to Play with Passion, Play Together, Play to Grow and Play Fair.
With the release of this report, Mattel is engaging consumers more broadly by launching a web-based version that demonstrates the company’s citizenship efforts in action. The web presence will deliver comprehensive information around the evolution of the company’s efforts, offer digital storytelling content as well as an array of 19 video vignettes that help bring these stories to life in more meaningful ways for Mattel’s stakeholders.
“We are thrilled to be able to share with our consumers the progress we’re making as a responsible member of the business community,” said Lisa Klein, senior vice president, Corporate Responsibility, Mattel. “We’re also excited to give an inside look into how we are working toward our vision for creating the future of play through the goals we’ve set.”
Specific social and environmental outcomes highlighted in the Mattel 2012 Global Citizenship Report include:Mattel further embraced its responsibility to make quality products that children love and parents trust:
- In 2011 Mattel established its Standards and Practices function to ensure that content achieves its intended purpose of inspiring play while at the same time being appropriate, responsible and reflective of its consumers’ needs.
- Launched in 2009, Mattel’s Quality Management System (QMS) has served as the focal point of strict standards for every aspect of the toy process, from product design to distribution.
- The report also celebrates the 15-year anniversary of Mattel’s Global Manufacturing Principles (GMP). Created in 1997, Mattel was one of the first brands to create a formal code of conduct to address ethical manufacturing issues.
- Achieving a new milestone in 2012, Mattel has established measurable sustainability goals and targets for the future, and is sharing progress externally with stakeholders. These new goals focus on reducing the environmental impact of Mattel products and packaging, decreasing carbon emissions and promoting a culture of sustainable growth.
- In 2011, Mattel adopted the Sustainable Sourcing Principles to guide the company’s procurement of paper and wood fiber used in its packaging and products.
- Since 2009, Mattel has refocused its social impact programs to break down the barriers to play and help expand access to play globally. The barriers are: time to play, place to play, tools to play and advocacy for play.
- The Mattel Signature Partner Program includes strategic partnerships with organizations such as the Special Olympics, the Children’s Hospital Association, Make-A-Wish, Playworks, Save the Children and Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA.
- Mattel’s 12 Days of Play Program combines the passion and energy of Mattel employee volunteers with toy donations to make a difference in the lives of underserved children during the holiday season. In 2010, the program reached more than 20,000 children in Southern California, bringing the joy of play through toy donations and personal interaction with Mattel employees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV