The Associated Press
Peabody Energy Corp.'s shares fell in trading Tuesday after a Goldman Sachs analyst downgraded his rating on the coal company after a recent rally in its stock price.
THE SPARK: Analyst Andre Benjamin downgraded his rating on the company's shares to "Neutral" from "Buy," saying that he doesn't expect big moves from the company in the near future that could further drive up shares.
THE BIG PICTURE: Peabody, based in St. Louis, is the world's biggest private-sector coal company.Peabody and other coal miners have struggled with falling global thermal coal prices as power plants turned to abundant and cheap natural gas rather than coal. The company expects the global coal market to stabilize soon due a recent uptick in natural gas prices and increasing demand for coal used to make steel. The company reported Monday that its third-quarter profit fell 84 percent but topped Wall Street's expectations. Peabody has relied on cost-cutting measures to ensure its profitability during this tough period and said it will continue to do so. THE ANALYSIS: While the company's prospects are better, Benjamin said they're priced into the stock, which has gained 30 percent in October. Overall this year, they had dropped 13 percent. Peabody is planning to sell a mine in Australia, which could boost shares, but Benjamin said he doesn't expect any other company actions to propel shares in the near future. He raised the company's price target to $28 from $26, still a 3 percent discount to Monday's close. SHARE ACTION: The company's shares fell 68 cents, or 2.4 percent, to $28.27 in midday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV