NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Romney's immigration law will pressure small businesses. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney vows there will be less regulation for small businesses under his leadership, but his support for an immigration law currently in 18 states could mean an extra step in the hiring process for all businesses, according to CNNMoney.
The government program called E-Verify requires business owners to check the legal status of all new workers against Social Security and immigration records.
Some small businesses say the added responsibility is a waste of time and an unnecessary layer of regulation that takes away from running their business.Experts say the program doesn't always catch fraud and could even falsely flag legal workers, the article says. 2. Capital One partners with Count Me In to create a mentorship program for women military veterans. Capital One (COF) and Count Me In for Women's Economic Independence, a nonprofit organization that provides business education and resources for women entrepreneurs, have launched a joint initiative -- the Women Veteran Entrepreneur Corps -- to help women veterans fuel the growth of their small businesses and create jobs. The training and mentorship program is designed to help established women small-business owners who are veterans (or spouses or domestic partners of veterans) conquer daily business challenges and plan for future growth and success.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV