In fact, I haven't heard a more impressive tech executive on an earnings call this year including Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg and Larry Page.
Maybe it's because I've gotten used to listening to Carol Bartz or Scott Thompson on these calls, but listening to Mayer was like manna from heaven. There was no confusing and vague language. There was no head-scratching over her stated plans. It was clear and direct. It was also realistic.
She sees Yahoo! as it is, not as she wants it to be. She sees both its weaknesses and its many overlooked strengths.This is a huge change. There can be no "fixes" at the company until it correctly sees the problems that must get corrected. That includes "dumb" things like Yahoo!'s siloed technology across its various properties that don't talk to each other and allow for knowledge sharing of users across them. It also includes tweaking mobile search in the past quarter and seeing it pay immediate dividends. Beyond the financial stuff that new CEO Ken Goldman covered, there were two areas that Mayer covered that really stood out: Yahoo!'s ability to partner, and search. Carlos Kirjner of Bernstein asked her whether Yahoo! could "win in mobile without an operating system? Or in the long term wouldn't companies like Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG), or even Microsoft (MSFT), who control the platform, end up disseminating
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV