Hosting (NYSE: RAX), the open cloud company, announced the unlimited availability of Cloud Block Storage, powered by OpenStack
. This solution provides a superior approach to attached storage in the Cloud by addressing customer demand for consistent and affordable performance for file systems, databases and other input/output (I/O) intensive applications.
Rackspace Cloud Block Storage
offers a standard volume option for everyday storage with performance that has been tested to be at least 30 percent less variable than that of alternatives
. The new product’s Solid State Drive (SSD) volume option has also been tested to deliver even higher performance, 5x to 6x faster than competing solutions
. Both options feature a transparent, flat pricing structure with no charge for I/O, and are now available for Cloud Servers powered by OpenStack
Rackspace Cloud Block Storage screenshot (Photo: Business Wire)
“The Rackspace Cloud Block Storage solution is a crucial piece of our product portfolio,” said John Engates, CTO of Rackspace. “The explosion of data over the past few years has placed greater demands on our customers, presenting them with a variety of new storage related challenges. We developed Cloud Block Storage to deliver consistent performance in the cloud, with a very simple pricing model that gives customers the flexibility they require to meet their unique business needs.”
With Rackspace Cloud Block Storage, customers get:
A Full-Featured Attachable Storage Solution
- Attach multiple volumes of up to 1 Terabyte each of block storage to Cloud Servers
- Detach and re-attach storage between compute nodes in seconds
- Choice of Standard Performance or SSD-based High-Performance storage
A Simple Pricing Model
- SSD-based solution is more than 10 times faster than Standard drive performance 1.
- Rackspace’s Cloud Block Storage Standard drive delivers consistent performance with less variability than standard drive solutions offered by leading competitors 1.
- High performance can be achieved without the need to RAID0 (stripe) volumes together, providing significant savings in cost and complexity.
- There is no cap on I/O and users do not have to specify IOPS numbers, as they do with competing solutions.
No Vendor Lock-In
- Standard - $0.15 per gigabyte per month; SSD - $0.70 per gigabyte per month
- $.10 per gigabyte per month for snapshot data stored
- Competitive pricing structure also features I/O at no additional charge, no additional per-instance fee, no minimum instance size, and consistent pricing in all U.S. regions
- Using the OpenStack Cinder APIs will allow customers to avoid proprietary implementation Rackspace Cloud Block Storage
Standard volumes are aimed at customers that typically require large amounts of everyday storage. These customers can leverage the product for a broad range of applications, including those that require standard performance or those needing to scale storage without scaling compute nodes. In addition, the product provides dependable storage for archiving solutions, companies that access large quantities of large files, and small to medium size websites.