DUBLIN, Ohio, Oct. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cardinal Health Specialty Solutions today launched VitalPath™ Integrated Dispensing Solution, a Web-based automated medication dispensing system that is designed to make it easier for community oncology practices to improve patient safety, inventory and revenue management.
Many specialty medications used to treat various forms of cancer must be administered through a needle or catheter, often in community oncology offices. Given that specialty oncology medications can cost thousands of dollars per dose – it's critical that oncology practices effectively manage their medication inventories and accurately bill for medications they administer to patients. It's also critical that community oncology practices have access to tools that help them ensure the right medication is administered to the right patient at the right dose, every time.
Cardinal Health Specialty Solutions' new VitalPath™ Integrated Dispensing Solution addresses these needs.
"It's clear that Cardinal Health Specialty Solutions listened to the needs of oncology practices like ours when they built VitalPath," said Irene Lustria, CFO, California Cancer Associates for Research and Excellence (cCARE) in San Diego, Calif. "VitalPath is a powerful, intuitive tool that has helped us to optimize our medication dispensing and improve the way we manage, replenish and bill for the medications we administer to patients."VitalPath ™ Integrated Dispensing Solution is designed to help community oncology practices:
- Increase patient safety – Unlike traditional automated dispensing machines (ADMs) that print one drug per label, VitalPath prints up to five drugs on a single label, helping practices save time and reduce errors. It prints labels with Tall Man lettering, which helps staff to distinguish between look-alike and sound-alike drug names. VitalPath also empowers staff to dispense medications based upon patient-specific clinical orders that are physician approved, reducing the opportunity for errors that can be made when orders are placed manually.
- Improve staff efficiency – VitalPath offers several features that reduce administrative burdens related to inventory management and medication dispensing. The VitalPath screen is easy to read and simple to use. It displays specific drug descriptions, active ingredients and clinical orders, including the route of administration. Clinical orders can be cloned, or replicated, from previous orders directly from the dispensing cabinet, eliminating the need to manually re-enter orders, which saves time and reduces the possibility of errors. Because the tool can electronically transfer patient clinical records from the practice's electronic health records, clinicians can also review real-time patient schedules and clinical orders. This reduces the chance for charting, dosing or reimbursement errors.
- Enhance practice revenue and charge capture – VitalPath also automatically manages supplies and pharmaceuticals, tracks inventory and calculates waste – helping practices improve billing accuracy. It documents every action taken on the system, allowing practice managers to use its reporting functions to reconcile invoices and inventory. VitalPath can also automate the medication replenishment process and facilitate more efficient inventory planning by automatically determining which drugs are required for each patient, based on patient needs, schedule or PAR level.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV