- A study by Bryan Yan, M.D., analyzed the lifetime cost‐effectiveness of the left atrial appendage (LAA) occlusion device for preventing stroke in patients with non‐valvular atrial fibrillation. The study found transcatheter LAA occlusion is considered a cost-effective strategy compared to aspirin, aspirin and clopidogrel, warfarin, dabigatran 150mg or 110mg for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation.
- A sub-analysis of the PROTECT AF study lead by Saibal Kar, M.D., found atrial fibrillation patients age 75 and older had a lower risk of stroke and all-cause mortality with the WATCHMAN LAAC device than with warfarin therapy. These results suggest that LAAC with the WATCHMAN device is a reasonable alternative to anticoagulation for patients over 75 years old.
- Horst Sievert, M.D., reviewed results from the ASA Plavix (ASAP) Study of the WATCHMAN LAAC Device, which showed a reduction in the risk of ischemic stroke by 75 percent in patients with atrial fibrillation who have a contraindication to oral anticoagulants such as warfarin. Earlier this year, European regulators approved an expanded indication for the WATCHMAN LAAC Device offering patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) and a contraindication to oral anticoagulants, a new treatment option for stroke reduction.
- The REPRISE I feasibility trial demonstrated successful deployment of the Lotus Aortic Valve System in all patients, with virtually no paravalvular regurgitation through three months. The Lotus Aortic Valve System is a second-generation transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) technology designed to simplify and improve the transcatheter aortic valve replacement procedure in patients with severe aortic valve disease. The trial results, presented by Ian T. Meredith, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., highlighted the predictable and precise placement of the Lotus and a unique Adaptive™ Seal feature designed to minimize the incidence of paravalvular leakage. These features will be further tested in the REPRISE II study (CE Mark trial) which commenced enrollment in October of 2012.
Boston Scientific Demonstrates Ongoing Structural Heart Advances At Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics 2012 In Miami
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.