Volume for its smokeless tobacco brands that include Grizzly and Kodiak rose nearly 7 percent compared with a year ago. Its share of the U.S. retail market grew 0.9 percentage points to 32.2 percent.
Reynolds American also kept its full-year adjusted earnings forecast in the range of $2.91 to $3.01 per share, which brackets analyst expectations.
During the quarter, the company said, it began previously announced test marketing in the Des Moines, Iowa, area of a nicotine gum under the Zonnic brand aimed at helping people stop smoking. In 2009, Reynolds bought Swedish company Niconovum AB, which makes nicotine gum, pouches and spray products. Zonnic is the first of its products to be sold in the U.S.
The company also said Tuesday it has begun limited distribution of its first electronic cigarette under the Vuse brand. The battery-powered plastic and metal devices that heat a liquid nicotine solution, creating vapor that users inhale.___ Michael Felberbaum can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/MLFelberbaum.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV