That's just what I want to see -- a race to the bottom. Who can produce the cheapest cotton T-shirt that will shrink after one wash?
There's something to be said about paying a premium for a quality product and user experience.
We have two Kindle Fires in our house. The second we entered an iPad into the relationship, our collective use of the Kindles decreased dramatically. It's the tablet one of us uses when somebody else is hogging the iPad.
From an investment perspective, the last thing you want to see is a company such as Apple -- one that makes its money selling hardware -- squeeze margins on the count of some battle it really doesn't need to fight.That's why a low-priced ($199, for example) iPad Mini concerns me. Why kill your margins and skimp on quality and specs, all in the name of countering Amazon's subpar Kindle? It makes no sense. Marketshare means nothing if it sacrifices key aspects of your business and/or does not drive revenue for core streams. Apple recognizes this. And, while Microsoft might pay some attention to Google, I don't expect Apple to suffer. Just because a name such as Google produces the latest low-priced device doesn't mean it's not a cheap knockoff. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this article. Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV