On a reported basis, operating profit was $129 million as a result of the pension restructuring previously mentioned.
Rapid e-commerce growth drove gains in daily volume, with Ground and Deferred up 3.0% and 9.3%, respectively. Next Day Air volume expanded 5.7% over the prior-year period, as retailers continued to utilize UPS Next Day Air Saver® to differentiate their offerings.
Base rate improvements were more than offset by lower fuel surcharges, and changes in product and customer mix. Consequently, revenue per package declined 0.8% from the same quarter last year.
|International Package||3Q 2012||3Q 2011|
|Revenue||$2.94 B||$3.06 B|
|Operating profit||$449 M||$417 M|
|Operating margin||15.3 %||13.6 %|
|Average volume per day||2.3 M||2.3 M|
The International segment produced operating profit of $449 million, its highest third quarter ever. Operating margin was up 170 basis points over the prior-year period to 15.3%. Export package growth, network changes and currency translation contributed to this improvement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV