For the nine months ending Sept. 30, UPS generated free cash flow in excess of $3.6 billion. The company repurchased 18.5 million shares for approximately $1.4 billion and paid dividends totaling $1.6 billion, a 9.6% increase per share over the prior year.
Capitalizing on credit market conditions, during the quarter UPS issued $1.75 billion of debt. Proceeds will be used to pay notes that mature in January 2013. The company ended the period with $9.0 billion in cash and marketable securities. The primary uses of these funds will be the acquisition of TNT Express and debt repayment.
|U.S. Domestic Package||3Q 2012||3Q 2012||3Q 2011|
|Revenue||$7.86 B||$7.77 B|
|Operating profit||$129 M||$1,025 M||$1,046 M|
|Operating margin||1.6 %||13.0 %||13.5 %|
|Average volume per day||13.2 M||12.7 M|
U.S. Domestic revenue increased $94 million over the prior-year period, driven by a 3.7% gain in daily package volume. Adjusted operating profit declined $21 million, impacted negatively by one less operating day and the timing of the fuel surcharge.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV