UPS (NYSE:UPS) today announced third quarter 2012 adjusted diluted earnings per share of $1.06. The International segment led the way with its highest third quarter in history generating $449 million in operating profit, up 7.7% over the prior-year period. UPS updated its full-year 2012 guidance for adjusted diluted earnings per share to a range of $4.55 to $4.65, reflecting greater confidence in fourth quarter execution.
On a reported basis, third quarter 2012 earnings per share were $0.48. In August, the company announced a decision to restructure pension liabilities for certain employees. As a result, UPS recorded an after-tax, non-cash charge of $559 million during the quarter.
“Our results were achieved in an environment of slowing global trade and changing market dynamics,” said Scott Davis, UPS chairman and CEO. “This not only highlights the flexibility of our business model; it illustrates the breadth of the UPS product portfolio in meeting the needs of customers.”
|Consolidated Results||3Q 2012||3Q 2012||3Q 2011|
|Revenue||$13.07 B||$13.17 B|
|Operating profit||$0.77 B||$1.66 B||$1.67 B|
|Operating margin||5.9 %||12.7 %||12.7 %|
|Average volume per day||15.5 M||15.1 M|
|Diluted earnings per share||$0.48||$1.06||$ 1.09|
During the quarter, UPS delivered 15.5 million packages per day, a 2.9% increase over the prior-year period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV