NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) unveiled its iPad Mini on Tuesday, wielding the smaller-screened device as a cudgel in its battle with tablet rivals Amazon (AMZN), Samsung and Barnes & Noble (BKS) .
With a 7.9-inch display, the new iPad is both smaller and lighter than Apple's previous iPad offerings. Other features of the gadget include an A5 chip, a front-facing Face Time HD camera and a 5-megapixel iSight camera on the back.
"Others have tried to make tablets smaller than the iPad, and they have failed miserably," declared Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, who handled most of the presentation.The company's CEO, Tim Cook, was also in attendance, telling the audience of journalists and analysts that the company recently sold its 100 millionth iPad. Apple also launched its next-generation iPad on Tuesday, which Schiller described as "a powerhouse." Like the third-generation iPad, the fourth-generation tablet offers a 9.7-inch display, but, unlike the earlier version, contains an A6X chip and a FaceTime HD camera. The device also offers twice the Wi-Fi performance of the previous iPad models, as well as support for additional LTE carriers worldwide, according to Apple. Other announcements on Tuesday included a new iMac, an updated Mac mini and a 13-inch MacBook Pro. Check out TheStreet's live-blog recap above for full details of Apple's launch event.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV