MONTREAL, Oct. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) announced today that its Board of Directors has authorized a new normal-course-issuer bid to purchase, for cancellation, up to C$1.4 billion in common shares, not to exceed 18 million common shares, representing 4.75 per cent of the common shares issued and outstanding of the Company not held by insiders on Oct. 15, 2012. Approximately 431.5 million CN common shares were issued and outstanding on that date.
CN repurchased 16.7 million common shares under its share repurchase program announced in October 2011, at a weighted-average price of C$80.84 per share, excluding brokerage fees, returning almost C$1.4 billion to shareholders.
The new repurchase program - starting on Oct. 29, 2012, and ending no later than Oct. 28, 2013 - will be conducted through a combination of discretionary transactions and automatic repurchase plans through the facilities of the Toronto and New York stock exchanges, or alternative trading systems, if eligible, and will conform to their regulations. Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) rules will permit CN to purchase daily, through TSX facilities, a maximum of 202,935 common shares under the Company's new repurchase program. Purchases under the normal-course-issuer bid will be made by means of open market transactions or such other means as the TSX or a securities-regulatory authority may permit, including private agreements under an issuer bid exemption order issued by a securities regulatory authority in Canada.
The price to be paid by CN for any common shares will be the market price at the time of acquisition, plus brokerage fees, and purchases made under an issuer bid exemption order will be at a discount to the prevailing market price as per the terms of the order.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV