General American Investors Company, Inc., a closed-end investment company listed on the New York Stock Exchange (GAM), reported net assets applicable to the Company’s common stock as of September 30, 2012 of $967,239,370 as compared with net assets applicable to its common stock of $886,537,370 at December 31, 2011. The value at September 30, 2012 included an increase in assets resulting from operations for the nine month period then ended of $113,930,774 and a reduction of $33,228,774 representing the cost of 1,202,985 shares of the Company’s common stock that were repurchased during the nine month period.
Net asset value per share of common stock at September 30, 2012 was $33.86, as compared with $29.78 per share at December 31, 2011.
The third quarter report indicates that as of and for the nine months ended:
|Net Assets Applicable to Common Stock||$967,239,370||$795,682,693|
|Per Common Share||$33.86||$26.66*|
|Net Investment Income||$2,773,250||$2,807,781|
|Per Common Share||$0.10||$0.10|
|Net Gain (Loss) on Investments||$119,641,503||($134,142,728)|
|Per Common Share||$4.28||($4.42)|
|Dividends and Distributions to Preferred Stockholders||$8,483,979||$8,483,979|
|Per Common Share||$0.30||$0.28|
|Common Shares Outstanding||28,563,404||29,844,275|
* After dividend and distribution of $0.50 per share paid on December 23, 2011.
For more current information concerning the Company’s net asset value per common share and market price, please visit the Company’s website at: www.generalamericaninvestors.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV