Its performance, along with UnitedHealth's report from last week, will give analysts a better sense for any trends that may be forming in the managed care sector.
WHAT'S EXPECTED: Analysts expect, on average, earnings of $1.33 per share on $8.83 billion in revenue, according to FactSet.
LAST YEAR'S QUARTER: Aetna earned $490.4 million, or $1.30 per share, as revenue excluding capital gains fell 1 percent to $8.4 billion. A charge for an early retirement program hurt the insurer's performance. But Aetna also saw a $117million gain in last year's third quarter because leftover claims mostly from the second quarter came in lower than expected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV