NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Yahoo! (YHOO) rose in late trades after the company bucked the general trend for tech companies this quarter and delivered above-consensus results on both the top and bottom lines.
The stock was last quoted at $16.25, up 3%, on extended volume of 2.1 million, according to Nasdaq.com.
For the third quarter ended Sept. 30, the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Internet content and search company reported non-GAAP earnings excluding items of $177 million, or 35 cents a share, with revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs, or TAC, come in at $1.09 billion.
The average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters was for a profit of 25 cents a share in the September-ended period on revenue of $1.08 billion.In the same period a year earlier, Yahoo! earned $175 million, or 21 cents a share, on a non-GAAP basis on revenue excluding TAC of $1.07 billion. "Yahoo! had a solid third quarter, and we are encouraged by the stabilization in search and display revenue," said Marissa Mayer, the company's CEO. "We're taking important steps to position Yahoo! for long-term success, and we're confident that our focus on quality and improving the user experience will drive increased value for our advertisers, partners and shareholders." Based on Tuesday's close at $15.77, Yahoo! shares were down 2.2% in 2012. Mayer, previously a vice president at Google (GOOG), was named to lead Yahoo! in mid-July. On Sept. 22, Mayer named Ken Goldman as its chief financial officer. Last Monday, she tabbed fellow Google alum Henrique de Castro as chief operating officer. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV