Schwab Advisor Services released today industry-wide data on independent registered investment advisor (RIA) mergers and acquisition activity for the third quarter of 2012. The results are available and include details of total transactions and average deal assets under management for the third quarter.
- The year-to-date assets under management (AUM) for M&A deal activity reached $42.3 billion at the end of the third quarter, which nearly eclipses last year’s AUM total of $43.9 billion;
- Ten (10) transactions were completed in Q3, totaling approximately $6.1 billion in AUM;
- National acquiring firms continue to be the dominant buyer category, closing seven (7) deals this quarter, bringing the total transactions completed up to nineteen (19) for the year.
“The uncertainty in the markets and the upcoming presidential election has led to a decline in M&A activity this past quarter,” said Jon Beatty, senior vice president, sales and relationship management, Schwab Advisor Services. “While national acquiring firms remain dominant players, RIAs as acquirers have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for the right opportunity."
Schwab began tracking M&A transactions in 2004. In addition to providing M&A data, Schwab has a number of services to support advisors through the many types of transitions they may encounter.Schwab Advisor Transition Services Schwab Advisor Transition Services is designed to support advisors through each phase of the transition process, including goal setting, evaluating options (internal succession, external sale, and merger or acquisition) and executing a transaction plan. Schwab’s Transition Services includes Schwab’s Mergers & Acquisition Listing Service, an online database offered to advisors that custody with Schwab Advisor Services. The service connects advisor firm buyers and sellers and enables advisors to maintain anonymity while soliciting interest and collecting information from other advisor firms on acquisition, mergers, or sales. Buyers also can search for investment professionals with books of business who would like to join an RIA firm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV