AMSTERDAM, October 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
The results of an international survey to assess patients ' and healthcare professionals ' (HCPs ' ) differing perceptions of ulcerative colitis have been presented at a Shire organised press briefing during the 20th United European Gastroenterology Week (UEGW) meeting in Amsterdam today. The ' Mind the Gap ' survey, which was sponsored by Shire, is the first international study in ulcerative colitis (UC) to compare the views and beliefs of patients, physicians and specialist nurses. It identifies key differences between patients' and HCPs' perceptions of the impact of UC symptoms on patients' lives. [1 ]
Commenting on the findings, Professor Stefan Schreiber, Department for General Internal Medicine and Institute for Clinical Molecular Biology, Christian Albrechts University, Germany and lead author said "One of the main conclusions of the survey is that HCPs may underestimate the effect of specific UC symptoms on patients and may not recognise issues that are important to patients. For example, patients' classification of their own symptom severity revealed greater severity particularly when compared with physician estimates and more than half of patients stated that UC symptoms over the past year had affected their quality of life, while physicians estimated that just over one third of patients would have a reduced quality of life over the same period."
In addition, the survey, which involved 775 patients with UC and 525 HCPs involved with the treatment of patients with the disease from five European countries ( France, Germany, Ireland, Spain and the UK) and Canada, show:
- On average, patients reported almost six flare ups in the previous year while physicians and nurses reported almost four [ 1 ]
- Pain was key for patients, ranking as one of the top two most bothersome symptoms (with urgency), while physicians and nurses ranked urgency and stool frequency highest [ 1 ]
- Seventy-two per cent of patients regarded HCPs as their main source of UC information. However, 59% reported not arranging regular visits to see their HCPs [ 1 ]
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV