VORNADO REALTY TRUST (NYSE:VNO) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell the Green Acres Mall, Valley Stream, Long Island, New York to The Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC) for $500 million. Net proceeds from the sale will be approximately $185 million after repaying the existing loan and closing costs.
The financial statement gain will be approximately $195 million. The tax gain will be approximately $304 million, which is expected to be deferred as part of a like-kind exchange.
This sale is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2013.
Further, Vornado will realize a financial statement gain of approximately $181 million and a tax gain of approximately $202 million from the sale of the Kings Plaza Mall, Brooklyn, New York. This mall, which is owned by Alexander’s, Vornado’s 32.4% affiliate, is being sold to The Macerich Company for $751 million. Vornado’s $202 million tax gain is expected to be paid out to shareholders as a special long-term capital gain dividend. This sale is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter.The sales of both malls are subject to customary closing conditions and the Green Acres sale is conditioned on the closing of the Kings Plaza sale. Vornado Realty Trust is a fully integrated equity real estate investment trust. Certain statements contained herein may constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual results, performance or achievements of the Company to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors include, among others, risks associated with the timing of and costs associated with property improvements, financing commitments and general competitive factors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV