Breadth was just about even on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq. Volume totaled 3.20 billion on the Big Board and 1.65 billion on the Nasdaq.
"To date, 34% of the S&P 500 has reported by market cap, and 3Q earnings can best be described as broadly disappointing," wrote UBS in commentary released before Monday's open. "Excluding Financials, companies have surprised by 40 bps
According to data from Thomson Reuters, 25% of the S&P 500 had reported their quarterly results through Friday with 60.2% of those companies beating the consensus profit view and just 39% coming in ahead of revenue expectations. Those percentages compare to averages of 67% and 55% over the past four quarters.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV