From there, we need the next true innovation. That cannot come in the form of iPhone, iPad or iPod (unless they're remarkably different -- and I actually don't think they should be). It's more like iTV (remember that?) or something we haven't heard a rumor on yet.
The next leg up at Apple. It's overdue. That's what the company needs for the stock to take the next leg up past $1,000 and, for all intents and purposes, complete the best-case bull case.
Who knows? Maybe Tim Cook will shock us on Tuesday and introduce an ace in the hole early. He practically has no choice but to come through big time, however, in the first half of 2013.
Whenever the time comes, failure is not an option. Failure, or even something slightly north of mediocrity, could make recent volatility in AAPL look even more insignificant -- over the long haul -- than this past quarter's and this present week's instability will prove to be.At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV