By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Forget about the woodshed. Dollar Tree (DLTR) has been getting chain-sawed.
The discount retailer had been a steady performer since early 2008, rallying more than 500% as cash-strapped consumers looked for lower prices. But it's been falling since June, and is down around $39 from the all-time highs over $56.
On Friday, however, the bulls started looking for a rebound. OptionMonster's tracking programs showed the purchase of about 5,000 November 42.50 calls for 53 cents and the sale of an equal number of November 43.75 calls for 28 cents.Owning calls locks in where investors can buy shares, while selling calls obligates them to sell if the strike price is reached. In the case of Friday's strategy, known as a bullish call spread, the trader would buy stock for $42.50 and sell it for $43.75 -- a spread of $1.25. It only cost 25 cents to open the position, so the trader would be looking at a profit of 400% if the shares close at or above $43.75 on expiration. Dollar Tree fell 0.51% to end the session at $39.15. Total option volume in the name was quadruple its daily average, with calls outnumbering puts by more than seven to one. Russell has no positions in DLTR.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV