Procter & Gamble
But Johnson & Johnson isn't the only huge blue chip that hedge funds turned to last quarter. Procter & Gamble (PG) was another one. Like Johnson, Procter is a prototypical blue chip: the $189 billion firm owns household brands such as Tide, Charmin and Cover Girl, totaling more than two dozen individual brands that bring home more than $1 billion in annual revenues.
Hedge funds piled into P&G in the last quarter, buying up 22.4 million shares to nearly double their ownership in the firm to $3.8 billion. (P&G is also one of Warren Buffett's holdings.)>>5 Big Stocks to Trade for Gains Procter is trying to be a more cost-conscious company in 2012. Most significantly, it's doing that by working to pull $10 billion in costs out of its income statement, boosting margins and ultimately hiking the amount of free cash that's available to give to shareholders. A mature sales channel in the U.S. (with already sticky consumers) provides a backstop for revenues while exposure to emerging markets provides some pretty significant growth prospects. That combination of stability and growth is ideal for a big name like P&G, even if it's not quite as defensive as Johnson & Johnson's healthcare posturing. While the firm isn't nearly as flush with cash on its balance sheet, P&G still generates mountains of free cash on a quarterly basis. That performance currently supports a 3.3% dividend payout for the firm's shareholders. Here again, defensive investors have a good core income holding by following hedge funds into this stock. I aso featured P&G in "5 Stocks Ready to Rally."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV