Why Battleground-State Housing Might Help Romney
North Carolina (15 electoral votes)
North Carolina Association of Realtors chief Lou Baldwin believes the Tar Heel State's housing market bottomed out over the past year and has entered a rebound period.
"Some parts of the state are doing better than others, but we're seeing a good general trend of 12% to 15% year-over-year improvement in [sales volume]," he says. "And we're seeing stabilization in home prices, if not a small tick upward."The latest monthly figures show that 9,521 North Carolina houses changed hands in August -- a 21% gain from a year earlier. Average prices did fall 1% from August 2011 to reach $197,519, but that's still 7.8% above the market's February bottom of $183,260. Average prices are still 14.9% below a $231,974 peak hit in June 2007, though. Baldwin believes North Carolina voters probably care more about the state's 9.7% jobless rate. "I think we have a lot of swing voters who are still weighing out which candidate they believe can help with the unemployment issue," Baldwin says. "They're going to vote based on jobs and figure the real estate market will follow."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV