The Fed's preferable inflation gauge, core personal consumption deflator, is rising (+1.6% vs. target of +2%), and owners' equivalent rent was troublesome at +2.1%, the most in three years.
The TIPS market smells out higher inflation, with the difference between nominal 10-year Treasury yields and the TIPS yield at 2.5% compared to 2.1% during the first 10 months of 2012.
If these numbers continue to rise, the Fed will likely be less friendly than many think.
Finally, industrial production for September was +0.4%, twice as good as expectations, but the August figure was revised down by -0.2%.Production of motor vehicles and parts fell by -1.5% for the second month in a row. Production of machinery, electronics, computers and mining all rose. The year-over-year increase in the capacity utilization rate matches the slowest pace in two and three-quarters years and follows weakening business capital spending, sluggish durable goods orders and the global manufacturing slowdown -- all of which are adversely influenced by fiscal inertia and tax and regulatory uncertainty. At the time of publication, Kass held no positions in securities mentioned.
Profit-Taking in AIG
Originally published on Friday, Oct. 19 at 10:24 a.m. EDT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV