Microsoft's main rival is not Amazon, but
(CLNE), and there it's being beaten badly,
So, sure, both companies had a disappointing quarter. Google's results are still too tied to advertising. Google had to absorb both the cost of acquiring Motorola and of downsizing it.
But Google will survive. Its cloud leadership is not threatened. Its problems lie entirely in how it can monetize its advantages.
By contrast Microsoft has lost its advantages. It's Azure cloud is more costly than the clouds of Google and Amazon. Its "moat" -- the PC and enterprise server software that keeps competitors at bay -- is losing its edge in the face of competition from IBM (IBM), Oracle (CLNE) and other cloud-based technologies.Even if Windows 8 turns out to be much better than expected, it's unlikely to gain a double-digit share of either the phone or tablet market. This time next year, Microsoft will be increasingly threatened by the cloud, its Windows 8 will have peaked, while Google will be fully engaged in monetization. I have shares in both Microsoft and Google, but I'm likely as not to take my lumps on Mister Softee and put that money back into Google, maybe soon. Time may have passed Microsoft by, but the age of Google is just beginning. At the time of publication, the author was long MSFT, AAPL, and GOOG Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV