NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Sometimes a news story says more than it means to.
There was a message in the story smart money managers could have won some puts on. For the first time, Google was showing its secret sauce, the source of its power today and tomorrow.
Its cloud. That was bad in the near term -- showing the crown jewels is often a distraction from today's problems -- but important for the long term as a demonstration of underlying strength.Cloud technology remains misunderstood, sometimes deliberately. It's not just a data center. It's not just client server. It's both 10 times cheaper than anything that came before, and more flexible. It can adjust to demand so a job takes just a piece of one machine or many machines, on-the-fly. It makes maximum use of every machine. It can be as resilient as the Internet itself. Google developed the technology to serve its own needs, and has pushed cost savings at every turn. It was the first to use commodity PCs instead of big servers, the first to put its service into a box for delivery to phone switches and customer premises, the first to push energy efficiency and solar power. Because Google is the cloud cost leader it can give the results away. Its aim is to accustom everyone to getting their work done through a cloud, and benefit in time from having the lowest cost cloud. The only cloud vendor to have followed this path is Amazon.Com (AMZN), but their EC2 scales according to customer demand, not anticipated needs. Amazon is better at drawing dollars from its cloud than Google, which only launched its Google Compute Engine this year, but it's hard to see it winning on costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV