Obama Tweet Unleashes #Romnesia Label
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- President Barack Obama re-election campaign's latest dig at Mitt Romney started trending worldwide on Twitter in less than half an hour on Friday.
The hashtag #Romnesia surfaced at 12:39 p.m. EDT from the president's Twitter account to slam his Republican opponent's history of being a so-called flip flopper.
"If you've come down with #Romnesia and can't remember the promises you've made, don't worry--Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions," the tweet said.
The president's campaign paid a fee for that specific tweet to be a promoted tweet.Twitter's Web site says promoted tweets are ordinary tweets purchased by advertisers who want to reach a broader audience than those that already follow them or find their tweets through the social media site's search function.
"If you've come down with #Romnesia and can't remember the promises you've made, don't worry--Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions."— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) October 19, 2012Less than 30 minutes after broadcasting the tweet, #Romnesia shot up as one of the top trending words worldwide and in the United States.
Huge! #Romnesia is trending worldwide and is now the #1 trending topic in the US.— Lis Smith (@Lis_Smith) October 19, 2012The president's campaign pulled the hashtag from a speech Obama made in Fairfax, Va. You can find the quotation beginning at 46 seconds in the video below. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV