MGM Resorts International
One more stock that's trading very close to triggering a major breakout trade is MGM Resorts International (MGM), a holding company that, through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, owns and/or operates casino resorts. This stock has been trending modestly to the upside in 2012, with shares up just over 7%.
If you look at the chart for MGM Resorts International, you'll see that this sock has been uptrending pretty strong since August, with shares soaring from a low of $8.83 a share to a recent high of $11.78 a share. During that uptrend, shares of MGM have been mostly making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move is quickly pushing MGM within range of triggering a major breakout trade.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in MGM once it manages to clear some near-term overhead resistance levels at $11.50 to $11.78 a share, and then above $11.81 to $11.95 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that tracks near or above its three-month average volume of 9.8 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then MGM will setup to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $14 to $14.94 a share.One could look to buy MGM off any weakness to anticipate that breakout, and simply use a stop that sits just below its 50-day moving average of $10.52 a share. A better play might be to just buy off strength once MGM clears those breakout levels with strong upside volume, and then use a stop just below $11.50 to $11.25 a share. To see more breakout candidates, check out the Breakout Stocks of the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV