This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 9:24 a.m. EDT on Oct. 19.
NEW YORK ( Real Money) -- One of the most significant market headwinds that I (and other market bears) have cited is the challenge to second-half corporate profits.
Surprisingly, many commentators have recently waxed enthusiastically about the prospects for earnings, even though the sampling of reported companies has been small. Also, as the week progressed, several key technology companies such as IBM (IBM - Get Report), Google (GOOG) and Microsoft (MSFT - Get Report) have had high-profile misses, and iconic Apple's (AAPL - Get Report) shares have slid noticeably in the face of profit reductions by several leading analysts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV