How to Have $8,500 in Credit Card Debt -- and a Great Credit Score
MyFICO, the consumer division of the credit ratings giant FICO, takes a good whack at that question, with data out today examining what formula makes for a sky-high credit score.
What the company found is that consumers with a credit score of more than 785 -- the "gold standard," according to MyFICO -- actually have debt. It's just that those high-end consumers manage that debt masterfully.
In fact, MyFICO says that "many individuals with the highest credit scores owe more than $8,500 on nonmortgage accounts" -- usually debts accumulated from multiple credit cards.The firm says 50 million American adults meet the standard for its "FICO High Achiever" level, meaning their credit scores are 785 or higher. That's about 25% of all U.S. adults who have earned a credit score, FICO says. Typically, those high achievers share some financial planning traits that earn them great credit, no matter what their background or tax bracket. What are the three that FICO says matter the most? Try these on for size:
- Consumers with great credit ratings routinely keep low revolving credit balances, mostly on their credit cards.
- They don't max out their credit cards.
- They always make payments on time.
- Consumers with great credit scores typically own seven credit cards.
- They have an average of four credit cards with balances outstanding.
- Almost 100% of those high achievers (96%) have zero missed payments on their credit reports.
- About one in 100 high-achieving credit consumers have a collection listed on their credit report.
- High credit score consumers typically use only 7% of their available card's revolving credit.
- Virtually all high achievers have a spotless record of at least paying the minimum balance on their credit cards every month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV