NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - If you've been waiting - trying to decide whether you want to be among the first to shell out $500 for a shiny, new Microsoft (MSFT) Surface RT tablet - you might just be out of luck. The first wave of new hardware offerings is now "sold out" through Microsoft's online store.
That's a problem for would-be owners because Microsoft had said that was the only way you can get one. But the bloggers from WP Central have discovered another way.
One of their readers who lives in Oregon has actually ordered a Surface tablet from a Microsoft holiday retail pop-up store. They're located in selected markets, mostly malls, across 27 states as well as locations in Puerto Rico and Canada. That lucky buyer received a "Reservation Pass" allowing him to pick up his prize next Thursday - before noon.
Next Friday, Oct. 26, is the first day that the highly publicized Surface tablets will be available for purchase. That will follow a dazzling official introduction event in New York City on the previous day.The first Surfaces to hit the stores will have ARM (ARMH)-based processors, run on Microsoft's new Windows RT operating system, sport 32GB of onboard storage and sell for $499. That model, with a snap-on keyboard/cover, will sell for $599. A 64 GB Surface RT, without the keyboard, will retail for $599. The keyboard will sell separately for $129. Surface tablets running on Intel (INTC) processors, along with the full Windows 8 operating system, are due to arrive in early November. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV