Oct. 19, 2012
The Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index finished up 1.04% in September. A new monthly commentary offers insight into hedge fund performance through the month of September. Some key findings from the report include:
- Hedge funds, as measured by the Dow Jones Credit Suisse Hedge Fund Index, finished September up 1.04%, with 8 out of 10 strategies in positive territory;
- In total, the industry saw estimated outflows of approximately $1.5 billion in September, bringing overall assets under management for the industry to approximately $1.77 trillion;
- The Fixed Income Arbitrage and Equity Market Neutral sectors experienced the largest asset inflows on a percentage basis, with inflows in September equal to 0.95% and 0.71% of the August 2012 levels, respectively;
- Event Driven funds generated positive performance in September, with continued strength in both credit and equity markets based on a demand-driven rally; and
- Long/Short Equity funds delivered another month of positive performance in September, making it the fourth consecutive positive month for both the strategy and equity markets. Performance during the month was led by select positions in large cap banks, which performed positively for managers on the long side in addition to a number of Consumer Discretionary and Healthcare positions.
Industry commentaries and publications are available in the "News" section of our website,
to view the full report which includes an overview of August hedge fund performance, in-depth commentary on individual hedge fund sectors and hedge fund return dispersion statistics for each strategy.
About S&P Dow Jones Indices
S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC, a subsidiary of The McGraw-Hill Companies is the world's largest, global resource for index-based concepts, data and research. Home to iconic financial market indicators, such as the S&P 500® and the Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC has over 115 years of experience constructing innovative and transparent solutions that fulfill the needs of institutional and retail investors. More assets are invested in products based upon our indices than any other provider in the world. With over 830,000 indices covering a wide range of assets classes across the globe, S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC defines the way investors measure and trade the markets. To learn more about our company, please visit
Credit Suisse AG
Credit Suisse AG is one of the world's leading financial services providers and is part of the Credit Suisse group of companies (referred to here as 'Credit Suisse'). As an integrated bank, Credit Suisse offers clients its combined expertise in the areas of private banking, investment banking and asset management. Credit Suisse provides advisory services, comprehensive solutions and innovative products to companies, institutional clients and high-net-worth private clients globally, as well as to retail clients in
. Credit Suisse is headquartered in
and operates in over 50 countries worldwide. The group employs approximately 48,200 people. The registered shares (CSGN) of Credit Suisse's parent company, Credit Suisse Group AG, are listed in
and, in the form of American Depositary Shares (CS), in
. Further information about Credit Suisse can be found at
In its Asset Management business, Credit Suisse offers products across a broad spectrum of investment classes, including hedge funds, credit, index, real estate, commodities and private equity products, as well as multi-asset class solutions, which include equities and fixed income products. Credit Suisse's Asset Management business manages portfolios, mutual funds and other investment vehicles for a broad spectrum of clients ranging from governments, institutions and corporations to private individuals. With offices focused on asset management in 19 countries, Credit Suisse's Asset Management business is operated as a globally integrated network to deliver the bank's best investment ideas and capabilities to clients around the world.