“More than just a generous philanthropist, Bob made his giving durable by helping us expand the reach and influence of our grants,” said Mike Philipps, president and CEO of the Scripps Howard Foundation. “His vision helped the foundation create the Community Fund, which improves the quality of life in communities where Scripps conducts business. Because of the broad outreach of the Community Fund, it would be impossible to count the many lives that have been improved because of Bob Scripps.”
His other interests ranged from commercial beekeeping to steamboats, a side business begun decades ago when he started making steam engines that he sold to other hobbyists. He had his own steamboat on a lake near Fredericksburg, Texas, and he brought a 38-foot steam-powered sternwheeler up the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers to the first Tall Stacks steamboat gathering in Cincinnati in 1988.
In 1948, Scripps married the former Mariana Rocha, who died in 2006. They had 11 children and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
About Scripps Networks InteractiveScripps Networks Interactive is one of the leading developers of lifestyle-oriented content for television and the Internet, where on-air programming is complemented with online video, social media areas and e-commerce components on companion Web sites and broadband vertical channels. The company’s media portfolio includes popular lifestyle television and Internet brands HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel and country music network Great American Country.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV