Net Interest Income
Net interest income of $269.6 million increased 4% from the prior quarter reflecting the favorable impacts of debt repayments using low-cost deposits acquired through the HSBC branch transaction as well as lower premium amortization expense on mortgage backed securities. Those benefits were partially offset by net interest income foregone on the sale of $3.1 billion of mortgage backed securities at the end of June. Tax equivalent net interest margin in the third quarter of 2012 was 3.54%, a 28 basis points increase over the prior quarter.
Average earning assets decreased 22% annualized compared to the prior quarter given the sale of the mortgage backed securities. Investment securities averaged $11.2 billion, a $2.8 billion decrease from the prior period. This decrease was offset by the $1.3 billion increase in average loans.
Credit QualityAt September 30, 2012, the allowance for loan losses was $149.9 million compared to $138.5 million at June 30, 2012. Information for both the originated and acquired portfolios follows.
|Q3 2012||Q2 2012|
|$ in millions||Originated||Acquired||Total||Originated||Acquired||Total|
|Provision for loan losses*||$ 21.4||$ 0.4||$ 21.8||$ 25.4||$ 2.4||$ 27.8|
|NCOs/ Avg Loans||0.30%||0.06%||0.21%||0.55%||0.04%||0.36%|
|Total loans**||$ 12,232||$ 7,086||$ 19,318||$ 11,392||$ 7,600||$ 18,992|
|(*) Excludes provision for unfunded commitments of $0.4 million and $0.3 million in 3Q12 and 2Q12, respectively|
|(**) Acquired loans before associated credit discount; see accompanying tables for further information|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV