By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Dish Network (DISH) has been delectable for the bulls so far, and Thursday they were looking for another quick snack.
OptionMonster's monitoring programs detected early buying in the October 35 calls for 10 cents. After some 3,000 contracts changed hands for that price, the stock quickly started to fight back from a drop at the open.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy stock, so they can generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally. And rally Dish did, ending the session up 4.75% to $35.74.While that was a nice gain for the shareholders, option traders really cleaned up. Those calls inflated exponentially, at one point gaining more than 800% in a matter of hours to 95 cents. The stock needed to move quickly for the trade to work because the options expire this afternoon. Earlier this month, investors bought January calls and sold January puts as Dish held support above its 100- and 200-day moving averages. They paid about $1.14 to enter that position, which is now worth $4.85 after the stock pushed higher. Total option volume in the satellite-television and communications company was 10 times greater than average in Thursday's session. Russell has no positions in DISH.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV