KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) â¿¿ TransCanada Corp. has temporarily shut down its existing 2,100-mile Keystone pipeline after tests showed possible safety issues, a federal agency said Thursday.
Jeannie Layson, spokeswoman for the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, which oversees pipelines in the U.S., said no leaks were detected on the line, which moves on average about 500,000 barrels of crude a day from Alberta, Canada, down through several states to facilities Illinois and Oklahoma.
"TransCanada reported to the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration that they have shut down their existing Keystone system pipeline to make repairs in areas where required integrity tests identified possible safety issues," Layson said in an email.She said the possible problems were located on the stretch of pipeline that extends between Missouri and Illinois. A federal inspector was deployed to review test results, observe repairs and monitor any additional necessary safety issues, Layson said. PHMSA did not have additional details on what the possible safety issues were. Grady Semmens, spokesman for Calgary-based TransCanada, said the pipeline was shut down Wednesday evening as a precaution and was expected to restart Saturday. "We found a small anomaly on the outside of the pipe after analyzing the data from an in-line inspection tool," Semmens said in an email. "As a precaution, we've shut down the line so we can go in and take a closer look." Once the pipeline is restarted the company expects "normal operations and flows" for the rest of October, but TransCanada may have to "make up some volumes in November," Semmens said. Heavy storms that have hit the area recently "are not helping" the operation, he said. "But we have crews on site and will be doing excavation work to expose the pipeline so we can investigate the feature that was identified by the in-line inspection," Semmens said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV