In the third quarter of 2012, the company recorded a $2.6 million non-cash net gain to reflect results of the quarterly update of cash-flow projections for the FDIC-covered loans. The gain reflects an $18.1 million provision for losses on covered loans and an offsetting $20.7 million of noninterest income related to City National's loss-sharing agreements with the FDIC. In addition to the $2.6 million non-cash gain for the quarter, the company recognized $0.8 million of other covered assets expense. Income, net of expense, from FDIC-covered assets, excluding the base yield, totaled $1.8 million in the third quarter of 2012, down from $7.3 million in the second quarter of this year. (The base yield is the yield on covered assets, excluding income related to covered loans that are repaid or charged off.) The decrease from $7.3 million in the second quarter was due primarily to lower income from loans that were repaid or charged off.
City National will continue to update cash-flow projections for covered loans on a quarterly basis. Due to the uncertainty in the future performance of the covered loans, additional impairments may be recognized in the future.
OREO assets acquired by City National in four FDIC-assisted bank acquisitions and subject to loss-sharing agreements totaled $83.6 million at September 30, 2012, compared to $102.8 million in the third quarter of 2011 and $82.8 million at the end of the second quarter of this year.
NONINTEREST INCOMENoninterest income was $107.3 million in the third quarter of 2012, up 54 percent from the year-ago quarter and 43 percent higher than the second quarter of 2012. The increases were due to City National's July 2, 2012 acquisition of Rochdale Investment Management, as well as higher FDIC loss-sharing income and distribution income from investments. City National's noninterest income for the first nine months of 2012 was up 1 percent from the same period of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV