Revenue, loans and deposits grow to record levels
Period-end assets surpass $26 billion for the first time
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 18, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- City National Corporation (NYSE:CYN), the parent company of wholly owned City National Bank, today reported third-quarter 2012 net income of $59.8 million, or $1.10 per share, up 44 percent from $41.4 million, or $0.77 per share, in the third quarter of 2011.Year to date, City National's net income totaled $160.8 million, up 25 percent from $128.6 million in the first nine months of 2011. Earnings per share were $2.97, up 24 percent from $2.39 in the first nine months of last year. City National also announced today that its Board of Directors has maintained and approved a quarterly common stock cash dividend of $0.25 per share. The company's dividend is payable on November 21, 2012 to stockholders of record on November 7, 2012. THIRD-QUARTER 2012 HIGHLIGHTS
- Average third-quarter loan and lease balances, excluding loans covered by City National's acquisition-related loss-sharing agreements with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), were $13.6 billion, up 15 percent from the third quarter of last year and 4 percent higher than the second quarter of 2012.
- Fully taxable-equivalent net interest income amounted to $214.8 million, up 6 percent from the year-earlier period and down 3 percent from the second quarter of 2012.
- Third-quarter deposit balances averaged $21.9 billion, up 11 percent from the third quarter of 2011 and up 5 percent from the second quarter of 2012. Average core deposits, which equal 97 percent of total balances, were up 12 percent from the third quarter of 2011 and up 5 percent from the second quarter of 2012. Period-end deposits reached a record of $22.5 billion.
- Excluding FDIC-covered loans, third-quarter 2012 results included a $2.0 million provision for loan and lease losses. The company recorded a $1 million provision, excluding FDIC-covered loans, in the second quarter of 2012.
- Third-quarter 2012 earnings included pretax gains of $4.8 million related to investments. Income, net of expense, from FDIC-covered assets, excluding the base yield, totaled $1.8 million in the third quarter. The aggregate impact of these items was after-tax income of $3.8 million, or $0.07 per share.
- On July 2, 2012, City National Bank completed its acquisition of Rochdale Investment Management, a New York City-based investment firm that manages $5.1 billion of assets for affluent and high-net-worth clients and their financial advisors across the nation.
|For the three months ended||For the three|
|Dollars in millions,||September 30,||%||months ended||%|
|except per share data||2012||2011||Change||June 30, 2012||Change|
|Earnings Per Share||$ 1.10||$ 0.77||43||$ 1.01||9|
|Net Income Attributable to CNC||59.8||41.4||44||54.8||9|
|Average Assets||$ 25,654.6||$ 22,998.6||12||$ 24,362.5||5|
|Return on Average Assets||0.93 %||0.71 %||31||0.90 %||3|
|Return on Average Equity||10.35 %||7.85 %||32||9.86 %||5|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV