SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK), a global leader in flash memory storage solutions, announced today results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012. Total third quarter revenue of $1.27 billion declined 10% on a year-over-year basis and increased 23% on a sequential basis.
On a GAAP (1) basis, third quarter net income was $77 million, or $0.31 per diluted share, compared to net income of $233 million, or $0.96 per diluted share, in the third quarter of fiscal 2011 and $13 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, in the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
On a non-GAAP (2) basis, third quarter net income was $118 million, or $0.48 per diluted share, compared to net income of $292 million, or $1.20 per diluted share, in the third quarter of fiscal 2011 and net income of $51 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. For reconciliation of non-GAAP to GAAP results, see accompanying financial tables and footnotes.
“Our retail business delivered strong results in Q3 and we believe we gained share across all major geographies worldwide on the strength of the SanDisk brand,” said Sanjay Mehrotra, president and chief executive officer of SanDisk. “Our results also reflect a solid recovery in our mobile embedded business and we made good progress toward expanding our SSD product roadmap. We believe we are well positioned to build on our business momentum and improved industry fundamentals to deliver strong sequential growth in the fourth quarter.”
|THIRD QUARTER 2012 KEY FINANCIAL METRICS|
|in millions of US$, except %||Q312||Q311||Q212||Q312||Q311||Q212|
|% of revenue||30.1||%||43.2||%||27.2||%||31.0||%||44.3||%||28.3||%|
|% of revenue||10.4||%||27.3||%||3.5||%||12.9||%||29.4||%||6.6||%|
- competitive pricing pressures, resulting in lower average selling prices and lower or negative product gross margins;
- potential delays in product development or lack of customer acceptance of our solutions, particularly OEM products such as our embedded flash storage solutions, and client and enterprise SSD solutions;
- unpredictable or changing demand for our products, including for different form factors, capacities and underlying memory technologies;
- excess or mismatched captive memory output or capacity, which could result in write-downs for excess inventory, lower of cost or market charges, lower average selling prices, fixed costs associated with under-utilized capacity or other consequences;
- inability to maintain or gain market share in client and enterprise SSD markets; and
- the other risks detailed from time-to-time under the caption “Risk Factors” and elsewhere in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including, but not limited to, our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 1, 2012.
|(1)||GAAP represents U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.|
|(2)||Non-GAAP represents GAAP excluding the impact of share-based compensation expense, amortization of acquisition-related intangible assets, non-cash economic interest expense associated with the Company’s convertible debt, the non-cash change in fair value of the liability component associated with the repurchased portion of SanDisk’s convertible debt and related tax adjustments.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV