Brand mentions in Twitter lag behind overall Twitter growth
While content about brands on Twitter is becoming increasingly conversational, the Bazaarvoice analysis shows that less of the conversation is about them:
- The volume of tweets per day has grown 143% from 2011 to 2012; however, mentions of brands on Twitter have grown 113% in the same period.
- Original tweets about brands are declining while retweeted brand mentions are on the rise. Highlighting both the speed at which information travels on Twitter and the increasing redundancy of that information, the proportion of original tweets with brand mentions has fallen from 85% in 2010 to 82% in 2011 and 78% to this point in 2012.
Search interest doesn't correlate to Twitter mentions, stock performance, or TV and radio coverage
While it may seem that people tweet what's top of mind, they're not tweeting about what they're searching for. Similarly, unpaid media coverage does not appear to produce a corresponding bump in search interest. To these points, the research found:
- Peaks in Twitter mentions for a brand resulted in either no positive impact or a decline in search interest (Google's normalized indicator of "the likelihood of a random user to search for a particular search term" on a 0-100 scale).
- Unpaid brand mentions (news pieces, etc.) in traditional media may be a great awareness mechanism but they don't drive search behavior. The corollary, though, is a study by Efficient Frontier shows that paid television ad campaigns correlate to a 60%-80% bump in brand-name search during the life of the campaign.
- "Just a few years ago, the terms 'in-store' and 'online' gave us a clear, differentiated way to talk about channels," said Brett Hurt, founder and CEO of Bazaarvoice. "But as channels converged, the terms no longer accurately described the way that people actually shop. The same is true of social—and everything it touches. Convergence is the place that Bazaarvoice, 'the voice of the marketplace,' has called home since 2005 and we are committed to using social data to unlock the predictive relationships that will transform marketing and business for the better."
- "Social data offers a critical new stream of insights for brands and the industry. The social ecosystem is broad; conversations happen on brand sites and on social channels, across an ever-increasing set of devices," said Erin Nelson, CMO of Bazaarvoice. "As social content and data expands, so does the scope of our knowledge about how it both influences and mirrors activity across the digital and physical worlds. Sharing these insights with our clients and the industry is the driving force behind The Conversation Index."
CONTACT: Matt Krebsbach 512.551.6612 Matt.Krebsbach@bazaarvoice.com Emily Brady Brady PR on behalf of Bazaarvoice, Inc. 650-692-6107 email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV